Searching for an easy, flavorful weeknight meal? Look no further than this recipe, which gets it flavors from the store-bought green chili sauce. Add onions, garlic, spices, herbs and a sweet potato and you have a delicious, cozy dish that is even better the next day.
Learn how to make a flavorful stew and take smart shortcuts.
Substitute one 15-ounce can of rinsed and drained white beans for the tofu.
Level Ups (optional)
Medium pot or straight sided saute pan with fitted lid
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into ½ inch strips or 1 package extra firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ medium white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into ⅓ inch cubes
- 2-3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp dry white wine
- ½ tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ cup green chile salsa or green enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tsp masa harina (optional)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup of spinach leaves
- 12 large Bibb lettuce leaves, jicama wraps or small corn tortillas
- Gather and measure all ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees.
- In a pot fitted with lid, add the oil and heat over medium high heat or until the oil starts to shimmer.
- Add the chicken and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until ¾ of the way cooked through. If using tofu, skip this step.