We love this salad as its simple preparation is a great way to utilize a leftover half of a rotisserie chicken or one of our favorite pantry staples; a can of garbanzo beans. You can pretty much add any vegetables to it, with the goal being to have equal parts in volume chicken or chickpeas to vegetables, fruit, nuts and or seeds. Cabbage, carrot, celery, some sort of bunch of herbs, citrus and green onions are staples in our refrigerators, so this salad comes together quickly.
CHEF’S TIP: The dash of hot sauce adds a very subtle heat component, and its acidity pops the flavors of the lemon, garlic and spices. Top this delicious, colorful salad with nuts or seeds for an extra crunch of flavor and fiber. If you are using canned chickpeas, save the protein-rich liquid and add it to a soup or stew.
Learn how to assemble a no-cook meal using leftover rotisserie chicken or a can of chickpeas.
Level Ups (optional)
Add diced jicama, small diced apple, diced mango, chopped cilantro and/or jalapeno.
Substitute lime for lemon zest and juice. Substitute finely chopped red onion for the green onion. Substitute olive oil for part or all the mayonnaise.
1 large bowls
Silicone spatula or wooden spoon
- 1 ¾ cups leftover, shredded rotisserie chicken or 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve liquid for another use)
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise such as Follow your Heart Veganaise
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2-6 dashes of hot sauce such as Cholula or Tabasco (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated or minced (or 1 tsp prechopped garlic)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1 large stalk celery, cut into thirds lengthwise and thinly sliced
- ½ cup grated purple cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Spinach leaves or lettuce for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken or chickpeas, mayonnaise,
lemon, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, garlic, green onion, cilantro, celery, salt, and pepper.
- Add the green onions, parsley leaves, celery, cabbage, and carrots.
- On individual plates, place evenly divided amounts of spinach or lettuce. Top with evenly divided amounts of the chicken or chickpea salad. Top each plate with pumpkin seeds