Sushi rolls are simple and fun to make. Double or triple the recipes and you can even add cooked shrimp, cilantro leaves and/or Sriracha to the ingredient list. The possibilities are endless. Here’s our recipe for making your own sushi rice.
- 1 batch sushi rice
- 4-5 sheets of Nori (toasted seaweed sheets)
- ½ cup shredded, crunchy vegetables such as cabbage and carrots
- ½ cucumber, cut into ¼ inch x 1 ½ inch sticks
- 1 avocado, cut into ¼ inch strips
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into ¼ inch strips
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Tamari or low sodium soy sauce for dipping
- Wasabi paste
- Pickled ginger
- Place one sheet of Nori horizontally onto the sushi mat. Dip your fingertips into a little bit water and press just over ⅓ of a cup of sushi rice onto the sheet, leaving the top inch free of rice. Lay ¼ of the vegetables horizontally across the bottom ⅓ of the rice. Sprinkle some sesame seeds over the veggies.
- Using your fingers, lightly wet the 1-inch border of nori – this helps the nori adhere to itself and seal the roll.
- Grab the edge of the mat closest to you and use it to push and roll the sushi into log. Roll slowly to ensure the sushi rolls evenly.
- Use a very sharp knife to slice the sushi rolls into 1-inch pieces. If the knife is sticking, run it under cold water before each slice.
- Repeat whole process 3-4 more times. Enjoy the rolls with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.