From Sharp Health News, a publication of Sharp HealthCare
Many of us enjoy working out in a gym because of its social nature, availability of exercise equipment and support of personal trainers. But if going to a gym is not an option, a fitness routine from the comfort of your home can be just as productive.
Try these five ways to stay physically active while at home:
- Stick with your strength-training routine using online videos or fitness apps.
- Try at-home yoga using online classes and videos.
- Pick up hiking, walking or running.
- Learn new dance moves with the entire family.
- Start using that elliptical trainer, rowing machine or treadmill that has been collecting dust in the garage.
Exercising at least 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week, and taking micro breaks and stretch breaks every 60 minutes, provide the following benefits:
- Reduced risk of developing a life-threatening disease
- Feeling less pain and discomfort
- Improved posture
- Improved sleep
- Reduced risk of falls and injuries
- A greater likelihood of maintaining or reaching a healthy weight
Proactively plan movement into your day to improve your overall health, sense of well-being and productivity.
VEBA offers a virtual Dance Fitness class Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 6 pm. This dance fitness class will incorporate your favorite dance styles, such as hip hop and Zumba, for a total body workout that’s sure to leave you energized and smiling! Register here.