15 Minutes (plus cooking time)
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories: 294 Cal
- Fat: 9g (1.3g Saturated Fat)
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 22.7g
- Top this chicken off with our homemade basil pesto sauce. Click here for the recipe.
- 4 each 4-6 oz. boneless chicken breasts, skin on or off; wing bone in or out
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil (avocado oil or olive oil)
- Salt & pepper, to season
- Any rub or spice (i.e. 1/3 parts cumin, cinnamon, garlic powder)
- INGREDIENTS FOR SALT BRINE (OPTIONAL):
- 4 cups warm water
- ¼ cup sea salt
- 2 Tbsp honey, brown sugar, coconut sugar
- 12 whole peppercorns (or 1 tsp black pepper)
- 2 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- Pinch of chili flakes (or 1 tsp Sriracha)
- If using brine, mix brine ingredients together and let it cool for 15 minutes. Submerge the chicken in brine and let it sit for at least 45 minutes (and up to 2 hours). Remove from brine and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat a medium oven-proof sauté pan on your stovetop to medium-high.
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and rub.
- Add oil to pan, place breasts "round" or "presentation side" or "skin side down."
- Cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. They will become lightly browned.
- Turn chicken breast over. Turn off the burner and place the pan with chicken in the oven.
- Cook chicken breast for 2.5 minutes per ounce of chicken (i.e. an 8 oz. chicken will cook for 20 minutes). If you are cooking more than one chicken, determine cook time based on the larger breast.
- Let chicken rest for 3-4 minutes before cutting.
- Optional: Top each serving with 1 Tbsp of pesto sauce. (Find our pesto recipe in the Notes)