This is a wonderful winter salad and a terrific alternative to the traditional green salad. Jicama is full of fiber and the flavor boost from the oranges are a terrific source of vitamin C. The mint and onion round out the flavors and take this salad to the next level. Don’t be afraid to add a little heat by substituting a portion of the chili powder with ancho or chipotle chili powder.
Substitute ⅛ tsp of the chili powder with ground chipotle chili powder or substitute ¼ tsp of the chili powder for ¼ tsp ancho chili powder. Substitute blood oranges for regular oranges.
Add pomegranate seeds and/or toasted pumpkin seeds. Add a little flavorful cheese such as crumbled feta or Cotija cheese. Add finely diced jalapeno for more spice.
Microplane or grater
- 4 oranges
- 1 lime
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and diced into ⅓ inch cubes
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ of a red onion, thinly slice or shaved
- 1 cup mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Grate 1 teaspoon each of the orange and lime zests and place them into the mixing bowl.
- Microwave the lime for 10 seconds and then juice the lime into the mixing bowl.
- Over the mixing bowl, peel and segment the oranges so that any juice is caught. Squeeze the empty membranes over a large bowl to release the remaining juices. For an easier method, peel the oranges then cut them in half lengthwise and then into quarters. Slice them into ⅓ inch quarter circles and add them to the bowl.
- Add the chili powder, salt and pepper to taste, the olive oil and lime juice into the orange mixture. Toss in the orange segments, jicama and red onion. Before serving, add the mint.