Make your own creamy, delicious and flavor-filled tomato soup! Just blend a large can of tomatoes, a handful of cashews, sautéed onions and garlic and seasonings. Level-up the layers of flavor with a generous splash of balsamic vinegar and a spoonful of pesto.
Learn how to make your own soup in under 10 minutes.
Level Ups (optional)
When heating, add a handful or two of fresh spinach. Garnish with thinly sliced basil leaves.
Substitute ½ teaspoon garlic powder and 2 teaspoon onion powder for the garlic and onions. Substitute 1 teaspoon dried basil in place of the pesto. Substitute sherry or red wine vinegar in place of the balsamic vinegar.
Small sauté pan
Silicone spatula or wooden spoon
Microplane grater (optional)
- One 28 ounce can of whole, peeled tomatoes
- ⅓ cup cashews (roasted or raw)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ medium yellow or white onion (about 1 cup finely diced onion)
- Water to steam and soften onion
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated or minced
- 1 ½ - 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (white or regular)
- 1 Tbsp prepared non-dairy pesto (optional)
- 8 basil leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes and cashews to soften the cashews.
- In a small-medium sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add the onion and Italian herbs and cook until the onions start to soften. Expedite the cooking process by splashing 3-4 tablespoons of water into the onions at about the 3-minute point of cooking. Let the water evaporate and repeat the process. The entire cooking process should take less than 10 minutes.
- Grate the garlic into the onions and cook for another 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and add the onion mixture to the blender. Add the salt and pepper and blend the tomato-onion mixture until smooth. Add the water or vegetable stock in ½ cup increments and pulse between each addition until the soup reaches the desired consistency. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and optional pesto.
- Reheat the soup and enjoy!