This is the easiest chili to make in under 20 minutes. This recipe contains 5 ingredients: onion, a can of black beans, a can of diced tomatoes, a jar of salsa and a packet of taco seasoning. Combined with the essential kitchen ingredients of olive oil, salt and pepper, you will find yourself making this chili over and over again.
Learn how to make a simple vegan chili.
Chef’s knife and cutting board if dicing the onion
Medium to the large pot
Silicone spatula or wooden spoon
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- Water to steam and soften the onion
- One 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 15 ounce can black beans, not drained and rinsed
- One 15 ounce jar salsa of your choice (mild, medium or hot)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL ADDITIONS:
- Lime wedges
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Thinly sliced green onion
- Shredded or crumbled cheese such as cheddar, Monterey Jack or Cotija (or vegan cheese)
- Hot sauce
- Unsweetened Greek-style yogurt (or vegan yogurt)
- In a medium to large sauce pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook about 2-3 minutes, or until it just starts to brown. Splash in 2-3 tablespoons of water to speed up the cooking time by steaming and softening the onion. Repeat this two more times every 2 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, salsa and taco seasoning. Season with salt and pepper if you would like. Garnish with any or all of the optional additions.