From Sharp Health News, a publication of Sharp HealthCare
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women and affects people of all ages. Many who die suddenly of heart disease have no previous warning signs, which is why heart disease is often called the “silent killer.”
Learn the science behind 5 bad heart health habits and how to break them:
- Get off the couch. Sitting for extended periods of time increases your risk of heart attack and stroke, which experts attribute to rising blood levels of fats and sugars. Go for a walk, ride a bike, take a dance class or join an amateur sports club.
- Get vocal about stress. Feeling overwhelmed or depressed? These feelings can affect heart health and mental health, especially if you keep them concealed. Support from loved ones and professionals boost health, whereas keeping stress to yourself can hurt it.
- Get flossing. Research has shown a strong link between gum disease and heart disease. Not flossing can cause bacteria-coated plaque to build up over time, which can lead to gum disease and trigger inflammation in the body, so floss at least once a day.
- Get by with a little help from your friends. Studies show that people with stronger connections to family, friends and society live longer, healthier lives. Make time for loved ones and turn to them for support or simply to connect.
- Get perspective: Heart disease claims more lives in the U. S. than any other illness. More than 600,000 people die of poor heart health every year. People assuming they’re not at risk is one of the most dangerous things they can do to their health.
Talk with your doctor about your personal risk for heart disease. With heart health knowledge and the desire to break a few bad habits, you can prevent heart disease, and even save your life.
The VEBA Resource Center offers Dance Fitness Classes. This dance fitness class will incorporate your favorite dance styles, such as hip hop and Zumba, for a total body workout that’s sure to leave you energized and smiling! Check out our calendar to sign up for an upcoming class.