Stews often take few hours to cook because they are traditionally made with tough cuts of meat that benefit from a long, slow cooking process. This plant-forward, flavorful stew is sure to become a family favorite, especially on a weekday night when time is limited as it comes together in less than 30 minutes. The sweet potatoes are not only packed with fiber, but Vitamin A and beta carotene as well and the beans add both fiber and protein. You will find this satisfying meal bursting with flavor, greens, and nutritious, fiber-rich carbohydrates.
Learn how to make a flavorful, plant-based stew.
Level Ups (optional)
You can increase the amount of vegetables in this stew. Top the stew with extra cilantro, diced avocado, sliced radishes, and/or a squeeze of a lime wedge on the stew.
Chicken or tofu can be substituted for the white beans. Water can be substituted for the wine or tequila.
Chef’s knife or equivalent
Silicone spatula or equivalent
- ½ large sweet potato, microwaved for 5 minutes, cooled, peeled and cut into cubes (about 1-½ cups)
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil such as olive oil
- ½ each medium yellow onion, finely diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp dry white wine or tequila
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 cup green chile salsa or green enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- One 15-ounce can of white beans, drained or 1-¾ cups cooked white beans
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- Cook the sweet potato and cool it. When it is cool, cut into cubes. This can be done the day before making the stew.
- In the medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the sweet potato and splash with the wine or tequila. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the salt and garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the cumin, coriander and oregano. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, apple cider vinegar and white beans. Cook on low heat for another 5 minutes. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts, about 1 minute.
- Turn off heat and stir in the cilantro and green onions.