This recipe is so simple, especially if made with leftover rotisserie chicken. Combining ripe avocado with creamy and rich Greek yogurt not only adds extra fiber to this chicken salad but the yogurt will prevent the avocado from turning brown. The salsa adds flavor and acid, while the addition of lime adds another plant source and brightens up the taste of the salad.
Learn a time-saving recipe.
Level Ups (optional)
Top with pumpkin seeds for additional iron and fiber. Add ¼ cup finely diced red onion and/or 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno for extra crunch and flavor. And finish it off with a cherry on top (cherry tomatoes, that is!).
Substitute chickpeas for the chicken for a 100% plant-forward salad. Substitute grated fresh garlic for the garlic powder.
Rubber or silicone spatula
- 1 ripe medium Haas avocado, cut in half lengthwise and pit removed
- 3 Tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp prepared red salsa
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Zest and juice of one lime
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded skinless chicken (leftover rotisserie chicken can be used for this)
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Lettuce leaves or whole grain bread
- With a spoon, take out the flesh of the avocado and add it to a large bowl. Add the yogurt, salsa, cumin, garlic powder, lime zest, lime juice and black pepper. Whisk together until smooth.
- Fold in the chicken, celery, green onions. Season with salt if desired. Serve in lettuce leaves or whole grain bread.