1 small rutabaga (turnips or beets may be substituted)
1 small fennel bulb
1 bunch of radishes
½ red onion
½ head savoy cabbage (about 4 heaping cups)
6-8 sprigs thyme
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper
4 garlic cloves
¾ cup white wine (low sodium broth may be substituted)
Prepare the veggies.
• Slice the carrots on a diagonal into ¼ inch slices
• Peel the rutabaga, cut in half length-wise, and slice into ¼ inch halfmoons
• Remove the fennel fronds (save for stock!), cut in half length-wise, remove the hard part of the core, and cut into ½ inch wedges
• Remove the greens from the radishes, wash and pat dry, and cut in half length-wise
• Slice the onion into ¼ inch pieces
• Rough chop the cabbage
• Thinly slice the garlic cloves
Heat oven to 350° F.
In a large, deep oven-safe skillet or French/ Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, rutabaga, fennel, radishes, onion, cabbage, thyme, salt and pepper to the skillet and cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have a golden char on them.
Stir in the garlic and then add the white wine, stirring so all the veggies are coated.
Cover and braise in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the veggies are soft, but not mushy. Remove the thyme stems before serving.