Both humble and popular, black beans seem to make their way into burgers and chilis. Why not make a recipe even easier by preparing a cold sandwich filling with this star protein? Easy-to-fold pita is spread with a smoky-tangy chipotle sauce and topped with mashed, fiber-rich black beans and crunchy vegetables.
Learn to substitute beans for traditional lunch meat.
Level Ups (optional)
Add any sprouts, thinly sliced radishes, thinly sliced jalapenos, cheese and/or microgreens to your sandwiches.
Substitute 1 Tbsp of chipotle salsa or ½ tsp dried chipotle powder for the chipotle puree. Omit the chipotle and substitute 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro and a pinch of salt. Substitute a packet of taco seasoning for the garlic and spices.
Chef’s knife or equivalent
1 medium bowl
1 small bowl
Fork for mashing
Small spatula for mixing the chipotle sauce
- 1 Tbsp prepared mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp full fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp chipotle puree or chopped, canned chipotle chilis
- ⅛ tsp salt
- One 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained or 1 ¾ cup cooked black beans
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp ground chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced or grated (or 1 tsp finely chopped garlic)
- ½ medium carrot, grated
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 4 romaine leaves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- Salsa (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, chipotle puree and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the beans, lime juice, chopped cilantro, cumin, chili powder, oregano, coriander, ¼ tsp salt and the garlic. Mash until most of the beans are split open and the mixture somewhat sticks together. Add in the carrot.
- Onto each pita, spread 1 Tbsp of the chipotle mixture. Pile ¼ of the bean mixture in a vertical 2-inch strip down the center of each pita. Layer the tomatoes, avocado, onion and romaine onto the bean mixture. Serve immediately and eat by bringing the sides of the pita together.