Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories: 388 Cal
- Fat: 16.6g (2.1g Saturated Fat)
- Carbohydrates: 42.6g
- Fiber: 13.3g
- Sugar: 7.1g
- Protein: 21.1g
- 1 package Tempeh (I use the West Soy Organic), cut into small cubes (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive or Coconut Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. minced Ginger Root
- 10-12 small Shiitake Mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced (about 1 Cup) or 1 package Beech Mushrooms or 2 Cups Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp. 5 Spice Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Rice Wine or Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Tamari (wheat-free soy sauce) or Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro Leaves
- 2 Tbsp. sliced Green Onions
- 8 each Butter or Iceberg Lettuce Leaves
- Shredded Carrot and additional Cilantro Leaves and Sliced Green Onions
- 1 tsp. Black Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Sriracha (sweet Asian chili sauce) and Chopped Peanuts (optional)
- Heat oil and add shiitake mushrooms and cook until soft. Add a little more water if they start to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add tempeh and 4 tablespoons of water. Cook until water is almost reduced to nothing.
- Add garlic and ginger. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 5 spice powder, chili flakes, maple syrup, vinegar, tamari, and sriracha to taste.
- Cook for another 1 minute or until liquid reduces slightly.
- Turn off heat and stir in sesame oil.
- To serve, spoon some of the mixture onto each lettuce leaf.
- Garnish with shredded carrot, cilantro, green onion, sriracha, sesame seeds, and peanuts.