From Sharp Health News, a publication of Sharp HealthCare
Did you know that you can prevent or even reverse muscle loss with regular strength training? Also known as resistance training, strength training involves using your own body weight or various tools, such as dumbbells, barbells or resistance bands, to build muscle, endurance, and support mobility and function.
Try these 5 tips to begin a strength training routine:
- Train the upper body – chest, back, shoulders, biceps and triceps – on the first day, and the lower body – legs, glutes and abs – on the second day.
- When picking a weight level, chose a weight that can be lifted at least 10 to 15 times in 1 set. Begin with 1 or 2 sets of 10 to 15 reps.
- Rest for 45 to 60 seconds between sets.
- Progress gradually by adding more sets and more reps, or increasing the weights every few weeks.
- To improve flexibility, make sure to stretch after weight-lifting sessions.
As always, talk with your doctor before starting a new exercise program.
VEBA offers a virtual Beginner Strength Training with Weights Class Mondays at 6:30 am and Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30 pm, featuring low-impact movements and light cardio training to build muscle and burn fat safely. This class allows for gentle progression and modifications. Register here.