From Sharp Health News, a publication of Sharp HealthCare
Do you “space out” while showering? Multitask while making coffee? Make mental grocery lists while driving? If so, you’re not alone. Busy days get busier and busier, and it’s easy to lose sight of the task at hand.
Thoughtfully tuning in can improve your concentration and decrease your stress. Try these 3 easy exercises to help you be mindful throughout your day:
- Pause at the coffee maker.
- Smell the coffee beans or grounds.
- Pay attention to the brewing sounds.
- Carefully pour the coffee.
- Slowly taste your first sip.
- Start your commute with three deep breaths.
- Say an intention to drive safely.
- When stopping in traffic, bring your attention to the cars and people around you.
- Focus and see the color of the lights.
- Take a few breaths and proceed if safe.
- Take a walk — for leisure, exercise or to get to a destination.
- Notice everything with curiosity and open awareness.
- Be aware of your breathing — feel it come in and out.
- Focus on the sensations of your feet and legs moving, and your arms swinging.
- Use the sensations to anchor your mindful attention.
The VEBA Resource Center offers Midday Mindfulness Refresh classes. Mindfulness is the quality of paying attention in an open, balanced and curious way. Mindfulness can be applied to all sensory experiences, thoughts and emotions. In this class, explore mindfulness of the body, breath, emotions and heart — an everyday practice you can do to improve your overall quality of life and sense of well-being. Check out our calendar to sign up for an upcoming class.