From Sharp Health News, a publication of Sharp HealthCare
San Diego offers miles of shoreline, plenty of sunshine and warm temperatures throughout the year. Why not work in a little workout while enjoying the offerings of America’s Finest City?
Here are 5 free ways to get fit during summer in San Diego:
- On your mark, get set, go! Walk, jog, hike or run along San Diego’s miles of beaches and mountain trails. From Coronado to Oceanside, a stroll in the sand or on a path can literally — and figuratively — take your breath away.
- Dive right in! Enjoy the beautiful Pacific Ocean. Swim, surf or boogie board where lifeguards are on watch and don’t forget to do the stingray shuffle on your way into the water.
- Take the stairs. From La Mesa’s “hidden stairs” to the Convention Center and staircases leading down to some of the area’s best beaches, San Diego offers several great stair workout spots.
- Be a baller. From football to volleyball, tennis to basketball, San Diego has loads of courts, parks, beaches and fields open to the public. Even a Frisbee will do.
- Get your groove on. Several local parks offer free concerts throughout the summer months. Grab a blanket, picnic basket and a few friends and dance the night away.
Whatever outdoor activity you choose, always be prepared. Drink plenty of water beforehand and bring some with you to stay hydrated; wear appropriate clothing and footwear; and always wear sun protection, including hats, sunglasses and a broad spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30.
Get your groove on from the comfort of your home or yard. Join the VEBA’s Resource Center’s virtual 30-minute Dance Fitness Class for adults, featuring your favorite dance styles from hip hop to Zumba, Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 6 pm. Register here.