1 ¾ cup cooked black beans or one 15 ounce can, drained
1 cup diced onion (about ½ of a medium onion)
2 tsp minced garlic (about 2 peeled cloves)
1 poblano pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp regular chili powder
½ Tbsp ancho chili powder
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp dried oregano leaves
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
6 ounces of tomato paste
4 medjool dates, pitted and finely diced
½ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup sliced green onions
Optional: avocado or avocado cilantro crema (see Notes for recipe)
PREPARE THE SWEET POTATOES:
• Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Use the tip of a knife to pierce each sweet potato several times to create holes for the steam to escape.
• Place the potatoes on prepared sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until tender. Set aside and allow potatoes to cool for 20 minutes before slicing them in half lengthwise. Hollow out about ½ of the sweet potato flesh from each half, leaving a ¼ inch rim. Save the sweet potato flesh for another dish.
• While the sweet potatoes are cooling, make the filling.
MAKE THE BLACK BEANS:
• In a large sauté pan, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, poblano chile and red pepper on medium-high until the onion mixture softens (about 4-5 minutes). Add the garlic and sauté for additional 30 seconds, being careful not to burn it. Add the tomato paste and ¼ cup water or vegetable stock.
• Add the black beans, spices, apple cider vinegar and combine just until heated. Fold in the dates. Simmer for 15 minutes.
ASSEMBLE SWEET POTATO SKINS"
• Lower the oven to 350° F.
• Divide the black bean chili into each of the halved sweet potato skins. Place the eight halves back onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
• Place the baking pan back into oven for 15 minutes.
• Remove the baking sheet with the sweet potatoes from oven.
• Garnish with chopped cilantro, green onions and optional avocado or avocado cilantro crema (See Notes for recipe).