This watermelon salsa is a freshing, summer-themed alternative to traditional salsa and goes well over fish tacos, grilled fish or even with tortilla chips.
Learn how to make a quick salsa using fruit as the base.
Level Ups (optional)
For a color contrast, use a combination of diced melon. Add finely diced fresh jalapeno for a little kick.
Substitute mint leaves for cilantro. Substitute diced stone fruit such as peaches, nectarines or apricots for the watermelon.
- 2 cups small-diced watermelon
- ½ cup small-diced red onion
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- ¼ tsp ground cumin powder
- Juice of 1-2 limes (2-3 Tbsp)
- Grated zest of ½ lime
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. If making ahead of time, add the lime and cilantro just before serving.