- 1 ½ cups walnut pieces, toasted
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 4 tsp minced garlic or (4 cloves)
- 3 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt, plus more if desired
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Toast the walnut pieces for 14 minutes. Remove the walnuts and raise the temperature to 425°F. Place the peppers in a large saute pan or baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes until most of the skin is blackened, turning about halfway through the roasting process.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and cool them. Peel the blackened skin off and carefully discard any seeds, reserving the juices if you are able to do so.
- Process the walnuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients and process until chunky or smooth (your preference). Thin with the reserved pepper juice, water, or lemon juice if necessary.