From Sharp Health News, a publication of Sharp HealthCare
Good health and well-being can improve your immunity, extend your life, reduce your risk of chronic disease, boost your energy and mood and enhance your overall quality of life.
Try these top 5 recommendations to reach and maintain overall health and wellness:
- Eat healthy food, including portions of fruits and vegetables at every meal; drink plenty of water; and avoid risky substances, such as tobacco and excessive alcohol.
- Exercise regularly – at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week – and spend time outdoors when possible.
- Get sufficient and quality sleep – seven to eight hours of sleep per 24-hour period is recommended for adults. Read our blog for 4 Tips for Improving the Quality and Quantity of Sleep.
- Schedule routine care, which may include annual skin checks, health screenings and getting the COVID-19 and flu vaccines and other immunizations. VEBA Co-Medical Director and Sharp family medicine doctor, Dr. Lee Remington-Boone, explains the importance of maintaining check-ups in this video.
- Stay connected with friends and loved ones — write letters, connect virtually, go for a walk together and deepen the bond with those most important to you.
Talk with your doctor about additional ways you can improve your health, and always share any changes you have noticed or concerns you might have.
The VEBA Resource Center offers Cooking & Nutrition Classes. Join our dream team of foodies comprised of a chef, dietitian and medical doctor to learn how to blend the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine to optimize your overall health and wellness – all while having fun! Check out our calendar to sign up for an upcoming class.