This is a simple recipe for a delicious whole grain and bean bowl. For each bowl, plan on 1 serving of whole grains, 1 serving of beans, 3 chopped vegetables and herbs, a sauce or salsa and a serving of nuts or seeds.
Learn how to construct a grain and bean bowl.
Level Ups (optional)
Add whatever extra vegetables you like!
- ½ cup cooked whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, barley or farro
- ⅔ cup cooked bean such as black beans, white beans, kidney beans or garbanzo beans
- 1 cup shredded lettuce or spinach leaves
- 2 Tbsp guacamole or ¼ of a sliced avocado
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup diced or halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 6 corn chips, crushed
- ¼ cup shredded cabbage
- 2 lime wedges for squeezing on top
- 2 Tbsp crumbled Cotija cheese
- 2 Tbsp full fat Greek Yogurt or VEBA’s avocado crema
- Assemble the 5 ingredients in a single serving bowl.