Traditional Greek salad does not contain lettuce. Instead, it is a celebration of beautifully ripe tomatoes, bell peppers, feta cheese, olives and cucumbers. The dressing comes together in no time and is flavored with garlic and oregano. Enjoy this salad as one of your summer staples.
Learn how to make a simple summer salad without using lettuce as the foundation.
Level Ups (optional)
Add garbanzo beans or leftover roasted chicken for extra protein. Also optional to add mint leaves, sliced green onions, sunflower seeds and/or marinated artichoke hearts.
Substitute or add in sliced zucchini or summer squash. Blue cheese can be swapped for the feta.
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or grated, or 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into 1 ½ inch x ¼ inch strips
- ½ medium red onion, cut into 1 ½ inch x ⅛ inch strips
- 3 Persian cucumbers, cut into halves lengthwise and then cut into ¼ inch half circles
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, cut into halves or quarters lengthwise
- ½ lb feta cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes (not crumbled)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion, cucumbers, kalamata olives and feta cheese. Lightly toss together and serve immediately.