This delicious salad is pack with nutritious flavors! Fiber-rich whole grains are the star of the recipe, but they are almost overshadowed by the peppery arugula, mint, parsley, apples, and strawberries. Both pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds add crunch and a large dose of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.
Learn how to make a loaded whole grain salad.
Level Ups (optional)
Use a basil or garlic infused olive oil in place of the plain olive oil.
Substitute blackberries or blueberries for the berries and pomegranate seeds. Substitute brown rice or quinoa for the farro.
Pot with lid to cook the farro
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey or real maple syrup
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
- ½ tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic (about 1 clove, minced)
- 1 ½ cups cooked farro (substitute quinoa or brown rice for gluten-free)
- 1 apple, cut into ¼-inch slices then cut into thirds so that pieces are “fork-friendly”
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
- ½ cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 4 cups arugula leaves
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup berries and pomegranate seeds
- Feta, goat or Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, honey or maple syrup, cinnamon, pepper, salt, and garlic.
- Add the cooked farro and coat with the dressing. Fold in the apple slices, green onions, mint, parsley, and red cabbage. Just before serving, fold in the arugula, berries and pomegranate seeds and top with the pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, and cheese.