Add these VEBA extras to your fajitas!
- SPICE MIX (or use 2 Tbsp taco seasoning)
- 2 tsp ground chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- ¼ tsp ground chipotle powder (optional)
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp dried oregano leaves or ground oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- MARINADE AND VEGETABLES
- ⅓ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice. Note: limes yield more juice the older that they are. You might need 4 depending on how much juice each lime yields.
- 3 portobello mushroom caps; gills removed with the side of a spoon and caps sliced into ⅓ inch slices
- 1 medium red onion; peeled and sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 3 mixed-color bell peppers such as one red, yellow, and green; sliced into ¼ inch slices
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- TO SERVE
- Warmed corn tortillas
- Salsa of your choice
- Guacamole (recipe in Notes) or diced avocado
- Cilantro crema (recipe in Notes)
- Mango salsa (recipe in Notes)
- Plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 450°F or 425°F convection. Place the rack in the upper ⅓ of the oven.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat, parchment paper or foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spices, olive oil, maple syrup and lime juice.
- Toss the portobello mushrooms in the marinade. Let them sit for 10 minutes. Add the sliced onions and peppers.
- Spread ingredients across the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 18 minutes.
- Adjust the setting to broil. Move the baking sheet closer to broiler if you can. Broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Sprinkle the portobello mushroom mixture with ¼ cup chopped cilantro. Serve with warm corn tortillas, salsa and any additional toppings.