These tacos are GREAT and are made with 100% plants! Make a batch or two of the taco meat and keep it on hand to enjoy over a salad or straight out of the jar. Walnuts provide the omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight inflammation. The quinoa is loaded with protein and flavor. Finally, the sweet tomato salsa is a vibrant take on the classic “pico de gallo”.
Learn how to work with plants and create a delicious meatless meal.
Level Ups (optional)
Top with creamy Greek yogurt, salsa, shredded cabbage and/or shredded carrots, and our VEBA Guacamole or Avocado Cilantro Crema.
Substitute in pecans or macadamia nuts for the walnuts. Substitute diced mango or any stone fruit for the tomatoes in the salsa.
Hand held juicer (optional)
- TACO “MEAT” INGREDIENTS:
- 1 ½ cups walnut pieces
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- Pinch of chili flakes or 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1-2 limes (about 2 Tbsp)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- TOMATO SALSA INGREDIENTS:
- ¼ cup of diced sweet onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- INGREDIENTS TO SERVE:
- Taco shells and/or bibb lettuce leaves
- For the taco meat:
1. Place all the ingredients for the taco meat except for the quinoa into food processor.
2. Pulse on and off for five second intervals until nut mixture resembles cooked taco "meat". Transfer the walnut mixture to a bowl.
3. Fold the quinoa into the walnut mixture.
4. Season with salt.
- For the salsa:
1. Combine all the ingredients.