Cod is a great source of both protein and omega-3 fatty acid. While cooking the cod in parchment paper might sound intimidating, it is easy to do. This method of cooking the vegetables and fish together keeps both moist and flavorful. If you don’t have parchment paper, you can substitute aluminum foil.
Learn how to bake fish in the oven.
Substitute Haddock, Pollack, Black Cod, Stripped Bass, Hake, Mahi Mahi or Grouper for the Cod.
Top the fish with VEBA’s Smoky Roasted Pepper and Walnut Dip. Click here for the recipe.
2 baking sheets
4 pieces of parchment paper (16 inches) or 4 pieces of aluminum foil (12×8
Wide mouth peeler
- 2 small zucchini to produce 2 cups zucchini noodles cut with a wide mouth peeler “ribbon” style
- 1 pound small red or Yukon gold potatoes, sliced about ¼ inch thick
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 skinless cod filets (about 6 ounces each)
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp dried thyme leaves or 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- VEBA’s Smoky Roasted Pepper and Walnut Dip (see notes for recipe)
- With a wide mouth peeler, make the zucchini noodles.
- In a bowl, toss the potatoes, sliced onion, garlic and zucchini noodles with 1 Tbsp of the olive oil, red pepper flakes and ¼ tsp salt.
- Place the cod onto a plate and drizzle with the lemon juice and zest. Season the cod with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Arrange about one-quarter of the potato mixture on one sheet of parchment or foil: top with a piece of the cod. Drizzle each piece of cod with ½ Tbsp olive oil and sprinkle the thyme or lay a thyme sprig onto each of the pieces of cod. Seal the parchment or foil, leaving enough space so that steam can gather without bursting the parchment or foil. Repeat to make 3 more packets and place the packets onto 2 baking sheets.
- Transfer the cod to the oven and bake until the parchment puffs and the liquid is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cod sit for 5 minutes before opening.
- To serve, arrange the vegetables and fish onto serving dishes. Remove the thyme sprig. Top each piece of cod with 1-2 Tbsp of VEBA’s Smoky Roasted Pepper and Walnut Dip.