1 Tbsp cooking oil (avocado or olive oil works the best)
1 ½ pounds chicken thighs, cut into ½ inch strips (or 14 ounce package of extra firm tofu, cubed into ¾ inch pieces)
½ medium white or yellow onion, finely diced
2-3 Tbsp water
1 tsp sea salt
2 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbsp dry white wine or tequila
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ cup green chile salsa or enchilada sauce
1 tsp honey
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
½ large sweet potato; microwaved for 5 minutes or baked for 45 minutes, cooled, peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes
½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
½ cup thinly sliced green onions
1 cup of spinach leaves
Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees.
In a pot fitted with lid, add to it the oil and heat over medium high heat or until the oil starts to shimmer. Add the chicken and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until ¾ of the way cooked through. (If
using tofu, skip this step).
Add the onion and sauté until soft (about 3 minutes). Add a 2-3 Tbsp of water to soften and steam the onions.
Add the garlic and sea salt and cook for another 30 seconds.
“Stop” the cooking process by deglazing with the white wine or tequila. Cook for 30 seconds and then turn setting to low.
Add green chile salsa, oregano, cumin, coriander, honey and apple cider vinegar. (If using tofu, add in here).
Add in the cooked, diced sweet potatoes. Cover the pot and place in the preheated oven.
Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir in the cilantro, green onions and spinach leaves until the spinach leaves are slightly wilted.
Transfer the stew to a serving dish.
INSTANT POT OPTION:
1. With the exception of the spinach, cilantro and green onion, combine all the ingredients in an instant pot and stir.
2. Set instant pot function to pressure cook 12 minutes and secure the lid.
3. After the cooking time is up, release the steam valve until the float switch has retreated.
4. Stir the spinach, cilantro and green onions into the chicken mixture and let the heat wilt the spinach.
5. Transfer the stew to a serving dish.