This salad is so easy to make! Start by making the vinaigrette into the same bowl in which you will be tossing the salad (less dishes, yay!). Add in chopped romaine and your favorite assortment of vegetables—really, anything goes! The addition of pepperoncini and olives will add another layer of flavor, and protein and fiber are found in the white beans. Finally, shave some hard cheese such as a Parmesan or Romano on top. The creaminess and saltiness of the cheese balances out the acidity of the dressing.
Lean how to make a simple, veggie packed salad with a basic vinaigrette.
Level Ups (optional)
Substitute 1 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves for the dried oregano. Add a handful of sprouts for extra nutrition or a handful of nuts/seeds before serving for more fiber, fat and protein. A little bit of lemon zest will add some extra acidity.
Substitute Pecorino Romano or feta for the Parmesan cheese. Substitute cooked chicken or fish for the white beans.
Tongs or disposable gloves if you are tossing with your hands
Chef’s knife or equivalent
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- ½ cup small diced red onions
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 ribs of celery, thinly sliced on the bias
- ½ cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- ¼ cup slice green or black olives
- ¼ cup thinly slices pepperoncini pickled peppers
- 1 avocado, cubed
- One 15-ounce can of white beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 ¾ cup)
- Grated or shaved Parmesan cheese to taste (about 1 Tbsp per person)
- In a large bowl big enough to toss the salad in, combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, garlic, black pepper and salt. Add the romaine, red onions, cherry tomatoes, celery, cabbage, olives, pepperoncini and lightly toss with tongs or gloved hands until coated. Add the avocado and white beans and gently mix. Top with grated or shaved Parmesan cheese.