Nothing is more comforting in the dead of winter than a rich bowl of chicken noodle soup. There are many ways to make a soup, but starting with a protein-rich chicken stock is the foundation for nutritional success. You can make your own stock using a leftover chicken carcass or purchase a can of stock at the store. The collagen found in chicken stock can strengthen bones and teeth and build immunity. It is also rich in protein, vitamins A and K, manganese, zinc and calcium.
Most chicken soup recipes call for diced carrots but grating them is easier and provides a smooth preparation process. Carrots add a slightly sweet flavor as well as a fair amount of vitamin A.
Traditional pasta noodles usually make up the second half of the soup, but since one of the keys to good health is a diet full of an abundance of vegetables, zucchini noodles or “zoodles” have taken their place in this recipe.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup finely diced yellow onion (about ½ of a medium onion)
- ¾ cup grated carrot (about 2 medium carrots)
- ¾ cup finely diced celery (about 2 stalks of celery)
- ¼ cup water (to steam and soften the onion, carrot and celery mixture)
- 1 tsp chopped garlic OR ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 1 Tbsp white or yellow miso paste
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 4 cups zucchini noodles
- In a large pot, add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat until shimmery.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 6-8 minutes. Splash the onion mixture with 1-2 tablespoons of water to soften and steam the onion mixture. Cook the onion mixture until it is soft.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and cook 2 more minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, miso paste, poultry seasoning and lemon zest and incorporate them into the carrot mixture. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, black pepper and apple cider vinegar. Bring the broth up to a boil and add the shredded chicken.
- Turn off the heat and then add the spinach and zucchini noodles. Let the soups sit for 1-2 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted. Serve the soup immediately.