Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories: 226
- Fat: 6.6g (Saturated Fat: 1.1g)
- Carbohydrates: 24.6g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Protein: 17.8g
- Sodium: 369mg
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken or veggie stock
- 2 heaping cups cooked-chicken breast, shredded
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅔ cup pearl barley
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chimichurri sauce (see Notes for VEBA recipe or use storebought)
- In a large soup pot, or Dutch/French oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper, garlic, turmeric, salt and pepper and sauté another one minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the chicken or veggie stock, gently removing any bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chicken, barley, lemon juice, parsley and cilantro. Let simmer for 30 minutes, or until the barley is cooked through.
- Remove bay leaves. We recommend serving with 2 tablespoons of chimichurri sauce gently mixed into the soup.