This meal is inspired by island life and while you might think you can only find it in a restaurant, it’s surprisingly easy to make in your home kitchen. Sweet mango, combined with creamy avocado, bright citrus and fresh herbs add a list of fiber and phytonutrient rich plants to this dish, but also elevate the flavor.
Learn how to use a food can as a fancy restaurant tool replacement to make these stacks in your home kitchen.
Level Ups (optional)
Serve over a prepared salad or with other fresh veggies. Or try serving with beet chips, sweet potato chips, or stone ground corn chips.
Citrus fruits like grapefruit or lime may be substituted for different flavor profiles.
15 ounce can
- 1 pound sashimi grade Ahi tuna
- 1 large mango
- 2 small avocados (or 1 large)
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp serrano pepper, minced (remove seeds for less spicy)
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 English cucumber
- Cut the Ahi into small (¼-inch) size cubes, and toss with the orange and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Cut the mango on either side of the pit so you have two halves. Using a sharp knife, score the inside of each half into pieces equal in size to the Ahi. Use a spoon to remove into a separate bowl from the Ahi. Cut any remaining flesh from the mango and cut into similar sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- Cut the avocado open, remove the pit, and repeat the scoring on the avocado halves. Add those pieces to the bowl with the mango along with the red pepper, cilantro, serrano pepper, orange juice and salt. Toss gently to combine.
- Cut the cucumber at a diagonal. Lay 4-5 pieces, flat, in a star pattern on each of four plates.
- Use a can opener to remove both ends from the can and then clean it thoroughly. (If you have a ring mold you can use this to make the stacks.) A smaller can makes a higher stack and a larger can makes a lower, wider stack.
- Make the stacks by placing the can or mold in the middle of the cucumber star. Add one-quarter of the Ahi into the can or mold and top with one-quarter of the mango avocado mixture.
- Repeat this process on the three other plates and serve with extra cucumber slices or level up options.