From Sharp Health News, a publication of Sharp HealthCare
Let’s face it: At this time of year, many of us feel overwhelmed and stressed out. Add the COVID-19 pandemic to the mix, and the stress multiplies.
So, how do you cope? Try this next time:
- Sit comfortably.
- Focus your awareness on your breathing.
- Breathe in. Breathe out. Repeat.
- If your mind wanders, gently and with patience, bring your focus back to your breathing.
- Try this for three to five minutes, and notice how you feel.
You’ve now practiced mindfulness. Mindfulness is the awareness of the present moment, approached with curiosity, openness and a willingness to be with what “is.”
Mindfulness has several benefits, including:
- Helps you reduce stress
- Aids in reducing chronic physical pain
- Boosts the body’s immune system to help fight disease
- Assists you in coping with painful life events, such as the death of a loved one or a major illness
- Helps you deal with negative emotions like anger, fear and anxiety
- Improves your attention and concentration
- Opens up the gateway for positive emotions, including happiness and compassion
This kind of practice can help center you in the midst of a stressful day, heavy workload and the holidays. You can go back to whatever needs to be accomplished feeling refreshed and renewed – and it only takes a few minutes.
The VEBA Resource Center offers Midday Mindfulness Refresh Classes. Mindfulness is an everyday practice you can do to improve your overall quality of life and sense of well-being. In this class, you will explore mindfulness of the body, breath, emotions and the heart. Check out our calendar to sign up for an upcoming class.