From Sharp Health News, a publication of Sharp HealthCare
Summertime is here, making many of us feel out of sync with our daily routines. This can lead to stress in both mind and body.
To help calm the nervous system and release pent-up energy, try these coping strategies and self-care routines that include all six of your senses:
- Take a 15-minute walk, three times a day. While walking, listen to nature — the birds chirping, waves crashing and the wind through the trees.
- Exercise until you produce a sweat — it helps detox the body and build strength.
- Drink six to eight glasses of water a day to keep your organs healthy.
- Choose healthy foods with lots of greens, raw nuts, fruits and protein.
- Breathe — deep breaths bring oxygen to the brain and body.
- Try yoga or a meditation practice — it grounds and energizes the body.
- Listen to music and sing out loud.
- Dance to the sun, moon and stars. Express your feelings through movement.
- Garden and plant new seeds of hope — they can feed your family, too.
- Begin a new hobby, such as baking, knitting or birdwatching.
The small actions we practice daily to celebrate our mind, body and soul can have a lasting positive impact for weeks and years to come.
The VEBA Resource Center offers Sound Healing Therapy Classes. You’ll be guided through soothing exercises of breathing, humming, tapping and energy clearing, followed by a deep relaxation meditation and sound bath, leaving you feeling more refreshed and energized. Check out our calendar to sign up for an upcoming class.